Sunday, March 23, 2014

Halloween Crazy Quilt is Done!

Hooray!
Here she is in all her Glory:

I finished all of the embellishment stitching late Wednesday night...OK, 
it really was still Wednesday, not quite Midnight!  Perfect timing for 
a Halloween Piece.  
On my last post, I mentioned my 'Zen Place' for doing all of the 
Embellishment stitching.  It is a different state of mind from needlepoint
 stitching.  I was worried about getting there.  
You are looking at a 'finished' needlepoint canvas, 
and instead of being done, 
you look and have to think, 
"OK, now to ADD!  What can I do to jazz up each and every faux 'seam'?" 
On March 9th, when I did the post about having all the background 
work done, 
I really was worried.
It is hard to decide where to start and what to do for the embellishing. 
 It took me a few days of worrying to tackle it.  I'd pick it up, look,
become overwhelmed and put it down.  Well, maybe if I organized all
of the bits and bobs, the panic would subside.
I gathered up beads, and sparkly threads, Swarovski Crystals, funky trims, 
ribbons, charms and buttons. 
Then, I decided that worrying about doing 23 seam treatments was really
overwhelming me.  "Kelly, darn it just pick a place and start!",
 I goaded myself.
   In the center, is the alternating Wheat & Bead sequence that I have used on 
the other 2 CQ pieces.  I knew it would work...so I began.  
Hooray!  The ice was broken!
 Then I decided to do the Stepped Wheat sequence, 
alternating the black & chartreuse silk perle, seen in lower left.  

 From experience, I knew that the Fan needed super skinny
treatments with lots of beads and bling, so I got busy on those!
Isn't it lovely?  Such Harmony!
I was really on a roll!  Once all of the fan is done, plus the first two,
suddenly 12 seams are tackled and the rest is much less daunting!
The fan edge is done with a SUPER COOL new trim & thread
combination from Access Commodities:
Silk Wrapped Purl & Silk Couching Thread.
Amazing Stuff!
A close-up of the Memory Wire Bead Twist.
The upper right corner has some simple twists with unique trims and threads.
And along came a Spider!
The Mish-Mash Ribbon Seam Treatment looks splendid in Halloween Colors!
 
And the Beaded & Be-Ribboned Tassel Trim is quite festive!
And more close-ups of other fun bits:
 Just look at the Sunflower center full of  messy beads and sequins!
 Delightful Tiny Buttons and a Vintage Bakelite bead with 
a plastic Rhinestone center...the epitome of tacky! 
 I just Love it!
 The wonderful cluster of Buttons with a Vintage Rhinestone 
Shank Button...Adorable!
 I was thinking about dangling Halloween Charms the whole
length of the Ribbon seam, but decided to stop after the
Jack-O-Lantern...was worried it might overwhelm!
(But, I can always change my mind!!!  Hum?) 

Now that the piece is done, time to write the Stitch Guide!
ARGH!!! Talk about overwhelming!
Ah well, until next time.
Happy Stitching, All! 




9 comments:

  1. GEORGEOUS!!!!! Do you get tired of hearing how creative and talented you are??? Would you tell me how you created the spider?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spiders body is a tiny 3mm ball of felted wool, tacked in place,
      then a Rhodes stitch in black Petite Very Velvet to cover. The arms were long stitches in the Petite Very Velvet, over-stitched w/ 2-ply of Bijoux. The head is a cross stitch in the Velvet w/ 2 shiny black 14mm seed beads for eyes. He is rather dapper,
      for a spider! :-)

      Delete
  2. Fantastic.....I am a needlework finisher and very detailed oriented and all the details on this piece is to say the least wonderful....I don't envy you having to write the stitch guide....The only suggestion I can give is take a nice warm bath, get a good night sleep and them begin.....Arlene Edelman Harris

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Oh My, Kelly!! You've done it again!! I've told myself "No More purchasing Needlepoint" until I finish multiple items. But I may have to break down for this one. When I finish my granddaughter's Christmas stocking, I may start the Christmas CQ because they're sooo much fun to stitch! Kathy Wallace/Midland, TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy-Did you know my trunk show is at The Stitching Post in Midland, TX right now?
      A perfect opportunity to break that no new needlepoint rule! LOL

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. wow - this is truly amazing with the embellishments and surface stitching. you rock ! Melody

    ReplyDelete